Bernard Hogan-Howe talks PCSOs: VIDEO
AS YOU KNOW, ONTHEBEAT101 WENT TO A TALK LAST WEEK BY METROPOLITAN POLICE COMMISSIONER BERNARD HOGAN-HOWE. HERE’S OUR VIDEO OF THE BEST BITS.
Onthebeat101 was there to represent the voice of PCSOs and ask the questions that matter. Some of the key points we uncovered were:
– He would not give PCSOs more powers, fearing this would take them off the streets and put them in the police station more
– London will be insured from much of the policing cuts this year due to the Olympics; however it is still facing shortages of up to 60 staff in certain boroughs
– There has been an ongoing debate about how best to use PCSOs and police commissioners are still learning
– The police are going to prioritise the recruitment of graduates much more in the future
– PCSOs have taken some getting used to by both police officers and the communities, but hopefully this is improving
Don’t forget, you can look back over our live blog of the event HERE
What do YOU think? Is the commissioner right about PCSOs? Leave your comments below.